Orchestral Percussion

Mahler Hammer

• 1.  Mahler Hammer

Posted 08-28-2010 10:40
    This message has been cross posted to the following eGroups: Music and Repertoire and Orchestral Percussion .
    -------------------------------------------
    I just got a part for a percussion ensemble piece by Christopher Rouse titled "Bonham." Many of you have probably heard it or have played it at some point... It calls for a Mahler hammer, which I (nor the university) do not have. so, does anyone on here know of places to purchase the hammer with the box? or does anyone here know where there are some instructions on building one? If I could make my own instead of using one the University buys it would probably be better cause then Id have my own Mahler hammer (which of course every percussionist wants...)

Thanks
    Zack Bresler

• 2.  RE:Mahler Hammer

Posted 06-12-2011 10:57
      |   view attached

Last summer there were some posts regarding the Mahler "hammer." This photo was recently posted online. Probably best to use this hammer only after one has tenure in the orchestra.
    John R. Beck

• 3.  RE:Mahler Hammer

Posted 06-12-2011 23:05
    It is now on my bucket list to do this in an orchestra.

• 4.  RE:Mahler Hammer

Posted 06-13-2011 11:48
    In regards to finding/making a Mahler Hammer. At my undergrad, Cal. State Northridge, one of our professor came up with a low-tech solution that worked great! We got either a 4x6 or a 4x8 that was three or four feet long and attached two handles, opposite of each other, to one end so we could pick it up and slam it down. Now, every Mahler Hammer needs it's box, so we used an old podium that wasn't in circulation and it was perfect for our percussion ensemble concert (didn't overpower).  You too can make your own Mahler Hammer!

-Spencer Goad
    Goadpecussion@yahoo.com
    www.goadpercussion.com
    www.youtube.com/TheBacchusEnsemble

• 5.  RE:Mahler Hammer

Posted 06-15-2011 09:23
      |   view attached
    Here's a pic of me taken last summer at Tanglewood while I was playing with the Boston Sym.  This is the "Mahler" hammer used by the BSO.

Neil Grover