Orchestral Percussion

Rutter Magnificat

• 1.  Rutter Magnificat

Posted 10-21-2011 20:08
    Performing the John Rutter "Magnificat" (chamber version) in December.  Anyone have any insights to share? Thanks.

• 2.  RE:Rutter Magnificat

Posted 11-24-2011 23:38

Hey Fred,

I just performed this composition this past Sunday with the Indiana State University Masterworks Choir. We used two percussionists and a timpani player. All the parts could have been covered by one percussionist and the timpani player except for the last movement. If you are only using one percussionist, the composer identifies which parts he would like performed.
         If I remember correctly everything was pretty straight forward except for the bongo part, it was not complex just weirdly written. Something you might want to check out before the performance. Hope this helps!! If you think of anything else let me know.

Kyle Lutes

• 3.  RE:Rutter Magnificat

Posted 02-14-2012 20:43
    Hi Kyle,

We performed it with 2 players, a timpanist and a percussionist. Yes, we were able to cover most of it, with the exception of the end of #1, where timp, tambourine and bongos are all going at once. We left out the bongos, feeling that the rhythms were covered elsewhere in the orchestration and the tambourine was more critical to an overall characteristic sound.

In the last movement I bailed out and hit the cymbal with a stick along with the snare drum part, even though the part says to leave out the snare drum and use hand cymbals. In the final 2 bars I played a tambourine mounted on a stand with a pair of sticks.  We just did what we felt best served our group and the performance venue. All in all we had a good time. Fun piece!

Fred O.