Orchestral Percussion

Rossini's "Thieving Magpie"....cymbals????

• 1.  Rossini's "Thieving Magpie"....cymbals????

Posted 03-12-2012 03:10
    This message has been cross posted to the following eGroups: Music and Repertoire and Orchestral Percussion .
    -------------------------------------------
    We'll be doing Rossini's "Thieving Magpie Overture" in a couple of weeks. The music I received includes snare, (per our conductor, the traditional two snare drummers, playing antiphonally), bass drum, and triangle. Yet my Orchestration Database lists cymbals, also. (No cymbal part in the supplied music.) I even checked a few videos on YouTube. Some clearly have a cymbal part, some don't. Hm-m-m... Could this be a case of no cymbal part written/published, but some conductors requesting a cymbal part because it seems appropriate?

Your input is greatly appreciated!

• 2.  RE:Rossini's "Thieving Magpie"....cymbals????

Posted 03-12-2012 10:06

Hal-

When playing early Italian opera and overtures,( ie: Rossini), I have always interpreted "gran cassa" to mean BD with attached piatti.  I have discussed this issue on many occasions with top Italian percussionists, including Mike Quinn (who is really America but played for years in La Scala), and they have generally supported this practice.

There is a great book now translated into English which addresses this very question.  I recently read it and it is very informative.

Here is the link:

http://www.bandaturca.com/ 

Hope this helps...

Neil

• 3.  RE:Rossini's "Thieving Magpie"....cymbals????

Posted 03-12-2012 19:29
    Thanks, Neil. That's one of the great things about this PAS site. I never have to worry about running out of new things to learn, and/or being reminded of old things I'd forgotten...;o)