Orchestral Percussion

Chabrier Espana tambourine part

• 1.  Chabrier Espana tambourine part

Posted 04-04-2012 23:25
    What tambourine techniques do you use for this tambourine part to Chabrier's "Espana," specifically for the part at letter L where the rhythms begin at p and crescendo to f and end in a roll.  The best technique I have found so far is placing the tambourine upside down angled on a folded towel and played with two hands on the shell, but I was wondering if anyone had additional suggestions.

Thank you!

• 2.  RE:Chabrier Espana tambourine part

Posted 04-05-2012 09:55

Matthew -

Great question! There are numerous techniques, I will talk about what works for me, but there are alternate techniques which work just as well.

I start with the instrument upside down, as you suggest, on my knee. The difficulty is keeping the rhythmic drive clarity during the crescendo and into the roll. Here's what I do - just after the crescendo starts, 21 bars after "L" to be exact, I transition from two hand playing to picking the tambourine up and using a fist knee technique.

The trick is in the transition bar (21 after "L"). I suggest you practice picking up the tambourine while playing 3 eight notes.  Work on making the shift smooth and seamless.

I hope this is helpful.  Let me know how you make out!

Neil

• 3.  RE:Chabrier Espana tambourine part

Posted 04-06-2012 20:53
    Thank you very much for all the helpful information!  While the tambourine is on your knee, do you play on the rim of the tambourine, or on the actual head?  I've been experimenting and am more easily able to produce a suitable sound when playing on the rim in my first attempts of this technique, but then that sound seems to contrast with the timbre I get while playing on the actual head during the fist/knee technique.  Thanks again for all your help!

-Matt