Orchestral Percussion

"Pictures @ Exposition" snare drum interpretation?

• 1.  "Pictures @ Exposition" snare drum interpretation?

Posted 09-28-2012 03:18
    This message has been cross posted to the following eGroups: Music and Repertoire and Orchestral Percussion .
    -------------------------------------------
    Looking for interpretive advise on the snare drum part in Moussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exposition"....specifically, Movements V & VII. I know stem up is on the head, stem down is on the rim. Fine. But certain spots just seem a little 'odd' to me. Ex: # V, measure before rehearsal # 69. Does the forte roll leading up to that measure REALLY end on the rim?  Ex: # V, rehearsal # 71 to end. Are the rolls in the first two measures REALLY supposed to be played on the rim? Is the roll, starting on beat 2 of the next to last measure, REALLY supposed to be on the rim, and end on both rim and head? And are the remaining rolls (in the 'big finish') REALLY supposed to be played on the rim?   Right now, I'm playing all the snare parts in these two movements 'as written', and playing the rolls on the rim as single strokes, (might opt for multiple bounce rolls.)   Please....your experience, your ideas for interpretation, and is there a generally accepted interpretation, other than literally 'as written'?   Thanks!

• 2.  RE:"Pictures @ Exposition" snare drum interpretation?

Posted 10-01-2012 15:16

The only movement where you play on the rim (or shell) of the drum is Mvt. V.    All the other snare parts throughout the piece are played on the drum in the normal manner.  When you see notes with up and down stems on the same note head, those are usually interpreted as flams.  

Some people interpret those as "French" flams (grace note and principle note hitting the head at the exact same time, ie. double stops) and some people play them as just regular flams.  (I play them as regular flams.)

Danielle

• 3.  RE:"Pictures @ Exposition" snare drum interpretation?

Posted 10-01-2012 15:30
    Thanks for your reply. This makes a third response with the same interpretation of that snare part. Nice to have unanimous interpretations! I'll also opt for the 'standard' flam, rather than the other. Wouldn't want one of my students to see me playing the 'flat flam' I'm always railing against....LOL.

• 4.  RE:"Pictures @ Exposition" snare drum interpretation?

Posted 10-12-2012 10:46
    BTW, it is a misnomer that the French play "flat" flams. The double stem notation is merely a traditional flam.

William Moersch
    University of Illinois