Orchestral Percussion

Capriccio Italien

• 1.  Capriccio Italien

Posted 01-21-2015 13:12
    Does anyone know if the bass drum/cymbal note 10 measures after K (measure 400) is supposed to be left out? Thank you.

• 2.  RE: Capriccio Italien

Posted 01-27-2015 08:32
    I have listened to a few recordings of this piece since you asked your question and I have come to a definite answer of "no, the bass drum/cymbal note at measure 400 should NOT be played."

The note does not line up with or echo anything else happening in the orchestra like the note in measure 391 (K) does or the note in 399 does.  Also, if Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops don't play it and Leonard Bernstein and the New York Philharmonic don't play it then I wouldn't play it either.

Good question Leo; great looking out for your section.

• 3.  RE:Capriccio Italien

Posted 01-27-2015 10:33
    Hi Scott, thank for your response to my question. I appreciate you taking the time to listen to recordings I did not have access to. I had checked the score - the note is there - but it didn't seem like it made much sense. I had a rehearsal Sunday night - decided not to play the note - the conductor didn't seem to notice.
    Thanks again. Leo

• 4.  RE: Capriccio Italien

Posted 01-27-2015 11:08
      |   view attached
    I am happy to help.  The score in itself is difficult since it is numbered by the parts are lettered.  In the attached picture from the score you can see that the eight note in the first set of red boxes at 399 lines up with all of the brass, the flutes, the oboe, and the violins but the second set of red boxes in measure 400 the bass drum/cymbal notes have nothing they are playing with.  This makes me think it is a printing error.  Also, listening to the piece, it seems like another bass drum/cymbal hit in measure 400 would be very out of place and wouldn't fit with the motif that has already been established in the percussion part.

There is a really great book I would recommend by Anthony J. Cirone called "On Musical Interpretation in Percussion Performance".  In the book he goes over how to check your notes against the score, what to look for, and how we as percussionists should be interpreting the music we are playing.  The book is published by Meredith Music and can be found on their website: www.meredithmusic.com.