Topic Thread

Your Favorite Snare Drum Sticks

• 1.  Your Favorite Snare Drum Sticks

Posted 09-14-2018 12:17

I'm curious what everyone's favorite pair of snare drum sticks are. What pair do you go to most often and what do you like about them?

Personally, I use the Vic Firth SD1 Generals most often.  I like the round head on them and the length and weight seem to be just right for me.  I recently picked up a pair of Artifact Percussion's Etude sticks but haven't quite gotten used to them yet.  They are a little bit longer than what I am used to and grip diameter is wider than what I like but I LOVE the hourglass style head on them and I really want to start using them more so I keep trying.

I'm very interested to know what else people are using and why they love them.  Is there something special and unique you use that I should know about?  Is there a reason you like rosewood sticks over maple or hickory?

------------------------------
    Scott Pate
    The Grand Marimbists

• 2.  RE: Your Favorite Snare Drum Sticks

Posted 09-15-2018 12:01
    Tough question. There are SO MANY great sticks out there now, but I'm always trying to find the perfect stick that matches my original WH Reamer sticks!  Still used, but sparingly.  I go to the Rosewood Burritt MBSD (closest match today to the Reamer), the Cooperman "Fastick" or for the best value, the Glenn Steele-Finale stick, although they're a lot lighter then in the past.  Most of the "major" stick companies have been trying to make a "general" stick that matches the Firth SD1 which some call the "standard."

David Eyler

• 3.  RE: Your Favorite Snare Drum Sticks

Posted 09-16-2018 06:31
    My favorite pair of snare drumsticks are the ones I designed for Leigh Stevens at Malletech - TCSD.  They are made of Rosewood with a counterbore in the end to create a top-heavy balance. These are best for the Classical repertoire. The wood is dense to bring out the fundamental tone of the drum and the top-heavy feel allows the sticks to operate without as much pressure from the hands.

Tony Cirone