ARTS IN THE DARK BATERIA GENERAL INFORMATION
The Arts in the Dark Bateria (AITDB) is a mass samba band comprised of over 100 drummers meeting to march in the 2018 “Arts in the Dark Parade” on SATURDAY, OCTOBER 20TH 6:00-8:00PM
. Here is everything you need to know about this exciting project as the Illinois Percussive Arts Society
joins with the Dill Costa Studio Dancers
to “light up the night.”
1) REGISTRATION - SCHOOL ENSEMBLES AND INDIVIDUALS ARE INVITED TO JOIN US! If you are a director, ensemble member, or individual percussionist interested in joining the party you can register here for free: https://goo.gl/forms/S3UALxn5LUoDTlcT2. You will need to provide you name, contact information, emergency contact information, and samba instrument of choice. Please know that while registration and participation is free members will need to provide their own (a) instruments (b) clothing and (c) transportation.
2) MUSIC - TUTORIALS FOR SPECIFIC INSTRUMENTS ARE AVAILABLE ON LINE! Reed Flygt is our director who is arranging the music for our performance. Mr. Flygt is an EEDS Bateria Instructor and full-time music educator at Lane Tech High School so we will be in great hands. He has generously taken the time to record videos of the Samba Reggae pieces and the individual parts that comprise them. Videos are available on our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/artsinthedarkbateria/
3) REHEARSAL - WE NEED YOU TO ATTEND OUR ONE AND ONLY REHEARSAL BEFORE THE PARADE FROM 5:00-8:00PM ON SUNDAY, OCTOBER 14TH. Held in the McAnich Arts Center on the College of DuPage Campus (425 Fawell Blvd, Glen Ellyn, IL 60137) SRC 2000, our dress rehearsal will include sectionals led by Lane Tech High School students and Chicago- Based Sambistas. Light snacks will be available. Attendees will need to provide their own samba equipment and transportation to/from COD. More specifics including room numbers, directions, and parking will be emailed to you before the rehearsal.
4) PERFORMANCE ATTIRE – AITDB MEMBERS WILL WEAR ALL BLACK CLOTHES FOR THE PARADE WITH AS MANY GLOWSTICK NECKLACES/BRACELETS/ETC. AS YOUR IMAGINATION AND BUDGET ALLOW. An example of these items can be found here: https://www.glowuniverse.com/. The Arts in the Dark Parade is a delightful celebration of community, lights, and a welcoming of Halloween frivolities. Please see to it that you have purchased adequate glow gear for you and any friends who are attending so we can appropriately “represent.” Note: We will be marching in October so comfortable shoes and weather appropriate attire is a must!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Where is the Arts in the Dark Parade? The parade proceeds from Columbus Dr. moving north from Balbo Ave. to Monroe St. Travel suggestions to and from the parade sight can be found on the Arts in the Dark Website listed below.
- What if I am new to Brazilian drumming? This is a great opportunity to learn! Instructors and participants are 100% committed to this being a good time where we all explore a rich culture’s traditions of drumming together. We all have a lot to learn and will be thrilled to help one another as the project proceeds.
- Will it be loud? Yes – very loud. Please be sure to bring hearing protection for you and any friends or family members attending the parade. We only get one set of ears and we need to treat them like the precious gifts they are.
- What if I want to participate but don’t own or have any access to instruments? Contact director Reed Flygt at email@example.com for more information.
- Can friends and family members join me who are not drumming? Yes, but they will need to be wearing the same attire as performers. Please encourage them, though, to consider signing up as a drumming participant! We will always welcome extra shakers, etc.
- Is there a viewing area available to families and friends? Yes, see Arts in the Dark website below.
- What if I have additional questions? Feel free to contact administrator, Ben Wahlund at firstname.lastname@example.org and he will try to return your e-mail within 48 hrs.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION REGARDING THE ARTS IN THE DARK BATERIA TEAM CAN BE FOUND BELOW. WE HOPE TO SEE YOU SOON AS WE LIGHT UP THE NIGHT WITH SWEET MOVES AND SAMBA GROOVES!
Reed Flygt, Director - https://turnthebeataround.net/about/
Ben Wahlund, Administrator - https://www.niu.edu/music/meet-us/bio/wahlund.shtml
Dill Costa Dance Studio - https://www.oldtownschool.org/teachers/Dill-Costa/
Arts in the Dark Parade - http://artsinthedark.org/
Illinois Percussive Arts Society - http://illinois.pas.org/home